Grilled cheese – eternally popular, recently trendy. Try this gorgeous smoked salmon version from the inspiring Baker by Nature foodie blog for some seriously classy comfort food.
- Serves 4
- 8 slices of bread (I used Rye, but you’re free to play with this)
- 8 ounces smoked salmon
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter, for the pan
- Place 4 slices of the bread on a large clean work surface.
- Layer 1/8 cup of cheese, 1/4 of the salmon, a pinch of the lemon zest and dill, and then another 1/8 of cheese on each slice of bread (basically dividing everything in 4 among the slices of bread), then top each with another slice of bread.
- Melt two tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sandwiches, two at a time, and cook until the cheese has melted and the bread is golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
- Repeat for all of the sandwiches, adding more butter to the pan as needed.
- Cut in half and serve at once.