Thisfish, a seafood traceability program
Thisfish is an online traceability program that allows you to trace your fish from the fisherman to the dinner plate. With it, you can trace the journey of your seafood back to its origins: who caught it, when, where and how. Thisfish helps consumers make more informed choices about the authenticity, quality and sustainability of the seafood you eat, while promoting those who stand behind their catch. Ecotrust Canada, the organization responsible for launching Thisfish, wanted to make the seafood business more transparent and reward those who responsibly harvest and handle their catch.
This is how it works:
- The fisherman catches your fish and assigns a unique code to the catch using a tag or label.
- The fisherman uploads the code and related info about when, where and how the fish was caught to Thisfish.info.
- As your fish travels from ocean to plate, other employees in the supply chain can upload details about its processing and handling.
- The chef or retailer receives your fish and traces its unique code at Thisfish.info, retrieving details about its origins, handling and eco-ratings.
- Trace your seafood yourself and connect the to the fisherman who caught it by using your smart phone, tablet or computer.
So when you happen across a Thisfish label, don’t hesitate to learn more about the fish you are interested in buying.
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on Instagram