The Steveston Tram Museum is to be constructed in the park on the corner of Moncton and No. 1 Road. This project commemorates the No. 1220 electronic tram line, which operated from 1905 to 1958 between Vancouver and Steveston. It was an important form of public transportation that moved cannery workers to and from Steveston, leisure seekers to and from Lulu Island, and played a special role in the dairy industry. The tram could transport people from downtown Vancouver to Steveston in 45 minutes.
To learn more about the No. 1220 tram line, refer to Ron Hyde’s book, The Sockeye Special, available in the Gulf of Georgia Cannery Store.