Scrumptious Seafood: Prawn & Broccoli Stir-fry
In honour of the Gulf of Georgia Cannery’s Ryoshi exhibit opening and the tail end (no pun intended) of the spot prawn season, today’s recipe is a prawn and broccoli stir-fry from the Home Away From Home cookbook. Ryoshi, this year’s temporary exhibit, opening on June 9th, features the history of Japanese Canadian fisherman on the West Coast. For the occasion, I thought it might be fun to highlight a recipe from the much coveted cookbook of home-style Japanese food, produced by the Japanese Community Volunteers Association.
This recipe calls for prawn, but I would recommend taking advantage of the season while it lasts and using some sustainable BC spot prawns instead.
The Home Away from Home cookbook is available in the Cannery Store.
Prawn and Broccoli Stir-fry
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 small kabocha, sliced
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 lb. prawns, peeled
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- to taste – salt and pepper
- Boil broccoli, kabocha and carrots for a few minutes.
- Blanch prawns and drain.
- Combine mayonnaise, mustard and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Fry vegetables in vegetable oil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium, add prawns and sauce and stir for 2 minutes. Serve hot.
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on Instagram