This past Saturday, the Cannery was abuzz with cooking demonstrations and delicious food during our Best Catch Sustainable Seafood Festival.
Smoked Albacore Tuna with a dry cured scallop & crab “XO” relish
- 1 x 1 ½ lb. albacore tuna loin
- 2 tblsp. grape seed oil
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 8 oz. smoking wood chips
Scallop & Crab Relish:
- 1 lb. 10/20 scallop
- ½ lb. rock or dungeness crab meat
- 8 cloves minced garlic
- 4 shallots minced
- 4 red Thai bird chili
- 4 tblsp. fish sauce
- ½ c. white wine
- Season the tuna.
- Heat a cast iron pan or heavy bottom stainless steel on high heat.
- Add oil, place tuna in pan, sear on all sides for 2 to 3 seconds.
- Remove and set aside to cool.
- Place wet wood chips in a aluminum foil, make a pouch, poke several holes to allow smoke to be released.
- Place pouch in a hot wok with a pan of ice above it, this will allow the smoke to permeate.
- Turn off the heat and smoke for 30-45 min.
- Toss the scallop and fish sauce together in a non-reactive bowl.
- Place on a parchment lined sheet pan.
- Roast in a 400F oven for 15-20 minutes or until scallops are dry and have browned.
- Place crab meat in the same oven for 5 minutes.
- Separate scallops into strands.
- In a stainless steel pan, sauté the garlic, shallots and chili for 5 minutes.
- Add shredded scallops and crab, cook for 2 minutes, deglaze with wine, cook for 1 minute. Reserve until needed.
Slice tuna and top with relish.