Sustainable choices will be labelled and most red-listed products such as Chilean seabass, orange roughy, and yellowfin tuna will no longer be sold. However, other red-listed products such as tiger prawns and farmed Atlantic salmon will still be available.
As part of that policy, OFG is working with SeaChoice to develop and implement a six-point sustainability plan for the procurement and sale of seafood in its stores. The retailer has committed to:
- offering customers sustainable seafood options and reducing procurement of unsustainable seafood
- providing transparency and traceability information on seafood products they sell
- openly collecting and sharing information regarding OFG’s sustainability practices
- educating its team members, suppliers and customers on sustainable seafood
- encouraging policymakers to improve and develop laws and regulations that support sustainability
- ensuring a sustainable future for seafood stocks [find out more]