In a city where rain falls every other day, thoughts turn to summertime activities when the weather finally brings clear and beautiful sunshine. Here are a few activities taking place at the Gulf of Georgia Cannery over the next few months:
- Saturday, May 19th is the opening day for Seafood for Thought, an exhibit that explores and raises questions about the sustainability of our oceans.
- Sunday, May 20th is the first summer Steveston Farmers’ and Artisans’ Market taking place every second Sunday at Moncton and Third Ave. from 10 am to 4 pm.
- Saturday and Sunday, June 9th and 10th is a weekend dedicated toWorld Ocean’s Day. Join us for film screenings.
- Thursday, June 21st, the Gulf of Georgia Cannery’s travelling exhibit, Salmon People, will open at Fort Langley in honour of National Aboriginal Day.
- Sunday, July 1st is an exciting day for all in Steveston. Look out for the Cannery float in the Salmon Fest Parade and enjoy learning more about tall ships for Ships to Shore. The Cannery will be offering free admission on Canada Day, so take some time with your friends and family to learn more about the West Coast fishing industry.
- Friday, July 6th, Music at the Cannery kicks off, featuring local acts. Shows start at 6:30 pm every Friday until August 31st.
- Saturday, July 21st is Parks Day. The Cannery will be opening our A to Z Exhibit, which highlights new and interesting facts about the Cannery and Steveston.
- Saturday, August 25th our annual West Coast Fishing Archive and Photo Contest will feature juried photographs of various contemporary fishing themes. Visitors can vote on their favourite ones.
Join us and play a part in the fun and exciting events taking place at the Cannery this summer. We look forward to seeing you!